The Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project (ASAP) is looking for an immigration paralegal to join our team! The paralegal’s responsibilities will include client communication, support on legal casework, and administrative tasks. The paralegal must be fluent in both English and Spanish, highly organized, and flexible.
This position is full-time with excellent benefits for a one-year period, with the possibility for renewal. The immigration paralegal will work closely with ASAP’s co-founders to help grow this young organization. Applicants available to work in New Haven, CT, are preferred, but interested candidates based in Chicago, New York, or elsewhere are also encouraged to apply! If you have any concerns or questions about timing, length of employment, or location, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Regularly communicate with clients and community members
- Interview clients and witnesses for immigration legal services
- Conduct legal and factual research, including gathering evidence
- Draft applications, affidavits, correspondence, and other documents
- Prepare materials and forms for submission to immigration and federal courts and agencies
- Provide Spanish interpretation and translation
- Maintain careful and accurate records
- Track case outcomes and metrics
- Track and document expenses
- Provide general administrative support
- English and Spanish fluency
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to think creatively, take initiative, and be flexible in the face of challenges
- Strong writing and oral communication skills
- At least one year of working with immigrant communities preferred
- Commitment to ASAP’s mission of preventing deportations of asylum seekers across the United States
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. ASAP offers excellent benefits including health and retirement plans, a flexible work schedule, and vacation/sick leave.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and two references to: email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and should be submitted no later than January 15, 2018.
ASAP is an equal opportunity employer. ASAP is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages immigrants, people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, women, and all qualified persons to apply.