This toolkit was designed to assist asylum-seeking families who have received in absentia removal orders in immigration court and explains how to file pro se motions to reopen their cases (MTRs). The Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project (ASAP) prepared the below materials for our organization’s internal use in 2019, and we are sharing them in the hopes they will be useful to other advocates. These documents are not intended for formal publication, are not meant to be exhaustive, and are not a substitute for independent legal advice in any case. For more information on in absentia removal orders and representing asylum seekers who seeking to reopen their cases, see ASAP and CLINIC’s Guide to Assisting Asylum Seekers with In Absentia Removal Orders.
You can download the full toolkit as a zip file or download the separate components, below.
- 0 ASAP Pro Se Motion to Reopen In Absentia Instructions (Word) (Read this first!)
- 1 ASAP Sample Limited Scope Legal Assistance Retainer – English (Word)
- 2 ASAP Sample Limited Scope Legal Assistance Retainer – Spanish (Word)
- 3 ASAP Template Pro Se Cover Letter from the Organization (Word)
- 4 Word Version of EOIR Pro Se MTR Template Plus Certificate of Interpretation (Word)
- 5 ASAP Redacted Sample Successful Pro Se MTR In Absentia – Motion Only (PDF)